Southwinds

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

Marcus Carter, the radio teacher in the Communications Magnet, is one of 27 new teachers on the South Mountain High School campus.

Photo by Makayla Lambert

Photo by Makayla Lambert

There are a lot of new staff members at South Mountain High School this year. According to Nicholas Oviedo, South’s Assistant Principal of Registration, there are about twenty new teachers on campus this fall to replace those who left.

“Some teachers moved to other schools in the district and that is pretty common,” Oviedo said. “And we also have a couple of teachers who are new to us who come from other schools in the district and that could be because of convenience.”

Oviedo pointed out that the addition of new staff members is similar to what happens in sports.

“My analogy would be like a football team. So, if I’m a head coach, I want players that I know fit the style of offense that we play,” Oviedo said. “Similarly, with teachers we want teachers that fit where we’re going as a school.”

There are positives and negatives of having so many new teachers.

“The benefit is we have teachers who are coming here, because they are interested in the academies at South Mountain,” Oviedo said. “The drawback is there is a learning curve. It’s hard to be a new teacher at a new school and get acclimated to the culture at the school.”

South’s principal, Brian Guliford, said, “It’s also an opportunity to bring new ideas and fresher perspectives onto the campus in terms of how we could make our school better and how we can improve the learning experience for you guys.”

Oviedo is excited about all the new teachers and thinks the students will be happy with them, as well. He also wanted to give the new staff some recommendations.

“My advice to the new teachers is … to not get overwhelmed,” he said. “We know it’s a lot of work. But you have to relax, do the best you can do every day, and get sleep.”

“It’s an opportunity for us to continue to rewrite a new narrative for South Mountain High School,” Guliford said. “We have a really really good mix of veteran teachers and new teachers.”

• New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

National News

Should parents snoop?

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

National News

Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Overcoming Shyness

National News

Teens and money

Campus News

Jack Carter: An Amazing Athlete

• featured-athlete

Coach Richard Thompson

The student news site of South Mountain High School