The student news site of South Mountain High School

Southwinds

Blood Drive comes to South

Junior Lorne Jones White winces as he starts his first blood donation at South Mountain High School's blood drive. But later Jones said he was

Junior Lorne Jones White winces as he starts his first blood donation at South Mountain High School's blood drive. But later Jones said he was "calm and relaxed".

Photo by Tabatha Ramirez

Photo by Tabatha Ramirez

On September 26th, South Mountain High School held a blood drive in the New Gym. Students signed in and received a red sticker saying “Ask me about donating blood,” as well as an informative article about blood donation.

Music played as students were interviewed and gave blood. Donors sat in blue chairs in the middle of the gym while medical personnel attended to them.

Some students couldn’t give blood, because they didn’t meet certain requirements put in place in order to ensure the blood is usable, like height and weight standards, as well as good iron levels.

Junior Lorne Jones White, a first-time donor, explained why he chose to give blood.

“I decided to donate blood today, because I think it’s a good thing to do for the community [and] for people who need blood.”

He shared some of the interview questions he was asked.

“They ask . . . if you have AIDS or HIV,” he said. “And just personal information like date of birth, age, grade, and have you ever donated blood.”

White also described his experience while he was in the donating chair. At first, he was anxious. But after he started donating, he was calm and started to relax. Later, he enjoyed some snacks.

Phlebotomist Carlos Salazar, who has been trained specifically in how to successfully draw blood , whether that be for a medical test or a blood donation. He has been collecting blood donations for a year and a half, said that they offer chips, or any kind of salty snacks. Donators have to eat these snacks to keep their sodium levels up.

Salazar explained that when the donation is finished many donors have side effects like fainting, dizziness, and bruising on the vein area. Students were advised to not do any harsh exercises or running.

One of the volunteers for the event, Sajron Wite, spoke about why she wanted to help out.

“I decided to volunteer, because giving your blood is a good thing,” she said. “You want to help out those people who need the blood.”

Wite also had a message for the donators.

“I like everybody that’s donating. Good job to you, and I’m glad that you’re helping out to a good cause,” she said.

White had one message for other students who are thinking of donating.

“If it’s your first [time] you should try it … you always want to try new [things] and know that you’re helping for a better cause.”

• Blood Drive comes to South

Jag Life

South Mountain alumnus talks about pursuing your passion

• Blood Drive comes to South

National News

How do you prepare for a disaster?

• Blood Drive comes to South

Campus News

Be A Leader helps students pay for college

• Blood Drive comes to South

Campus News

Taking credits outside of the district? Make sure to follow the proper process

• Blood Drive comes to South

Jag Life

Freshmen and sophomores learn how to protect themselves during Mock Crash event

• Blood Drive comes to South

Campus News

Mock crash shows South students dangers of driving drunk

• Blood Drive comes to South

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

• Blood Drive comes to South

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

• Blood Drive comes to South

National News

Fake News

• Blood Drive comes to South

National News

You can beat test anxiety

Blood Drive comes to South