Southwinds

Taking credits outside of the district? Make sure to follow the proper process

Elizabeth Ochoa, a senior at South Mountain High School, views the Marks and Grading Manual online, which is where students can find information on concurrent enrollment.

Photo by Marissa De Santiago

Photo by Marissa De Santiago

There is perhaps nothing scarier than starting your senior year of high school and realizing you do not have enough credits to graduate. Fear and stress sink in. Everything you have been working towards might not happen due to a few credits.

What can you do? Some students decide to take classes at other schools in order to make sure they graduate on time, which is called concurrent enrollment. However, the process for concurrent enrollment can be confusing, leaving high school students with credits they can’t transfer.

Any student who is thinking about taking a class outside the district should make sure that the course is not already available at the high school they are currently attending. South Mountain High School Assistant Principal of Registration, Nicolas Oviedo, also recommends that students meet with a counselor before they start to enroll in any classes.

“Their counselor is the one who knows what classes they need [and] if it’s available here,” Oviedo said.

After students take these beginning steps, they have to fill out the Phoenix Union High School District Post Secondary Concurrent Enrollment Permission form or the Permission Form for Online High School Credit While Enrolled at a PUHSD School, both of which can be found in the Appendix E or Appendix H of the Marks and Grading Manual online. Students must fill out a document based on where they are taking the additional class. The form will require signatures by the student, a parent/guardian, a counselor, and a principal or assistant principal.

Students will also have to meet requirements and complete steps which are listed on the forms, such as attaching their transcript to the documents and having a conference with a parent/guardian, counselor, and principal to determine if the class is appropriate for the student. Students need to have this meeting prior to signing up for any classes.

Oviedo wants students to know that they have many opportunities to earn credits without having to take part in concurrent enrollment. These include taking evening school, adding a ninth hour to their schedule, or taking summer school. Due to Academies construction, South may have summer school classes at a different site, and students can take classes at other Phoenix Union schools, as well.

“It is important that students know about the proper process, so that they do not go out and take a class somewhere else and do not get the credit for it,” he said. “What we don’t want is for a student to go and take a health or a Spanish class, do all of this hard work, and not have it count towards graduation.”

• Taking credits outside of the district? Make sure to follow the proper process

Jag Life

South Mountain alumnus talks about pursuing your passion

National News

How do you prepare for a disaster?

Campus News

Be A Leader helps students pay for college

Campus News

Blood Drive comes to South

Jag Life

Freshmen and sophomores learn how to protect themselves during Mock Crash event

Campus News

Mock crash shows South students dangers of driving drunk

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

National News

Fake News

National News

You can beat test anxiety

The student news site of South Mountain High School