Southwinds

Filed under Campus News

South students provide water and inspiration for the homeless

South Mountain High School and St. Vincent De Paul come together to host a water drive for members of the community that are in need.

South Mountain students partnered with St. Vincent De Paul  to collect water bottles for homeless people in the community.

South Mountain students partnered with St. Vincent De Paul to collect water bottles for homeless people in the community.

Photo by Tabatha Ramirez

Photo by Tabatha Ramirez

The South Mountain High School community teamed up with St. Vincent De Paul to provide homeless individuals with water. Donations were accepted in September at designated drop-ff spots by the administration building and the newly installed Snack Shack, located near the Jag Mural.

Many volunteers showed up to help. Teachers attended, including Mr. Diaz, Ms. Green and Ms. Du with students from her Asian Studies club.

All tables inside the teacher lounge were filled with bottles containing messages of hope from South.  In total, 3,262 bottles were donated.

Marcelino Quiñoz, Director of Youth Outreach for St. Vincent De Paul, attended the water drive as a representative of the society.

“Water bottles will be collected … and then distributed to members of the homeless community as part of a sack lunch,” Quiñoz said. “When the individuals happen to receive lunch they will also receive a message of hope, (like) ‘Find light in the dark times.’ It’s a way to bring hope and love to the world.”  

South and St. Vincent De Paul are looking forward to partnering with each other again on other drives, such as canned food and clothes. As Quiñoz said, the goal is to help “heal the community.”

Being a former student and graduate from South, Quiñoz was very impressed with the South Mountain students.

“That people are willing to do something for others and expect nothing in return … it gives me hope,” he said. “It lets me know that our community is in good hands with the youth.”

“It was inspiring because I know I’m helping people who are in need,” said Kassandra Castro, the President of the Asian Studies club. “We give them a ray of hope that they’re not alone.”

• South students provide water and inspiration for the homeless

National News

Should parents snoop?

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

National News

Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Overcoming Shyness

National News

Teens and money

Campus News

Jack Carter: An Amazing Athlete

• featured-athlete

Coach Richard Thompson

featured-athlete

60 years later

The student news site of South Mountain High School