Southwinds

South Mountain teacher awarded the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence

Back to Article
Back to Article

Matt Smith, the Law Magnet/Public and Social Services program manager, won the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence.

Matt Smith, the Law Magnet/Public and Social Services program manager, won the John J. Ross Memorial Award for Excellence in Law-Related Education.

Smith has been at South Mountain High School for 15 years. During his time at the school he’s managed to have at least one of his students in the semi finals of the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project national competition for six consecutive years. He was asked how he’s managed to keep his students ahead of the competition.

“We use experts in the legal community… to supplement the curriculum we have developed at South,” Smith said.

According to the Arizona Foundation for Legal Services and Education website, the awarded is given to educators “who have made exceptional contributions to further the understanding of the role of law in our society,”

Smith talked about why he chose to be a law teacher.

“I love the law. It makes you think and challenges you,”  said Smith. ” I love working with young people. It was the best of both worlds.”

Smith truly appreciates his students and believes his achievements are based of everyone’s hard work.

“My success is a reflection of the hard work of many others, particularly our students,” he said.

• South Mountain teacher awarded the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence

Campus News

South Mountain High School boasts new nursing program

Campus News

!CAUTION! Construction Zone Ahead

National News

Dazed and Blazed Concert: A day I’ll never forget

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

National News

Should parents snoop?

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

National News

Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Overcoming Shyness

The student news site of South Mountain High School