The student news site of South Mountain High School

Southwinds

Filed under Featured A&E

Exceptional student takes risks

Set to become the first in his family to attend college

Senior Juan Carpo is hard of hearing, still that didn't stop him from giving a speech about Arizona University. Capri, on the left ,stands with  his South Mountain  High School teacher Alexandra Poindexter.

Photo by Talayna Barnes

Senior Juan Carpo is hard of hearing, still that didn't stop him from giving a speech about Arizona University. Capri, on the left ,stands with his South Mountain High School teacher Alexandra Poindexter.

On March 29, South Mountain High School senior Juan Carpio gave a very notable speech about being accepted to Northern Arizona University.

“Basically, in my speech I was talking about myself, about my dreams, what I want to become in my future,” he said. “I was talking about my parents. They didn’t have an education, like I did, and I will be the first one to attend college.”

Carpio was overwhelmed with joy, though he didn’t know how the crowd was going to respond to his speech. To his amazement, he was praised with gracious compliments. The reason Carpio’s speech was so re- markable is because he suffers from severe hearing loss.

“I feel happy; I feel great because there were a lot of people,” he said. “At first, I didn’t know, but after I gave my speech, there were a lot of people that came up to me and said I did great…a lot of people were proud of me.”

Carpio explained that during elementary school he spent most of his time alone. He struggled with staying focused during class. But he adjusted. When Carpio entered high school he became more engaged in the classroom.

Carpio’s parents wanted him to go to South Mountain

where he says he just focuses on school and getting his work done, so he can be ahead in class.

“When I get my education done then I can go ahead and have more fun,” he said. “It’s not hard for me to make friends. The thing is my education is more important.”

Alexandra Poindexter, an Exceptional Student Services teacher at South, is proud to have Carpio in her class.

“Juan (is) impressive, despite (being) hard of hearing. That’s obviously challenging,” she said. “What makes him unique and special is that he just keeps going.
He really took a risk and tried to be super engaged in class. He’s a really hard worker. I’m excited for him and his next steps.”

Carpio will be studying business at NAU. He believes that NAU has exceptional programs that can help him further his goals.

Poindexter is truly inspired by Carpio.

“It’s easier to not do than to do,” she said. “Juan comes in everyday super prepared, super enthusiastic, asking questions when he doesn’t understand. Those are some of the qualities you definitely see in college.”

• Exceptional student takes risks

National News

How do you prepare for a disaster?

• Exceptional student takes risks

Campus News

Be A Leader helps students pay for college

• Exceptional student takes risks

Campus News

Taking credits outside of the district? Make sure to follow the proper process

• Exceptional student takes risks

Campus News

Blood Drive comes to South

• Exceptional student takes risks

Jag Life

Freshmen and sophomores learn how to protect themselves during Mock Crash event

• Exceptional student takes risks

Campus News

Mock crash shows South students dangers of driving drunk

• Exceptional student takes risks

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

• Exceptional student takes risks

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

• Exceptional student takes risks

National News

Fake News

• Exceptional student takes risks

National News

You can beat test anxiety

Exceptional student takes risks