Southwinds

Filed under Jag Life, Movies

Hacksaw Ridge

A soldier without a gun.

The+film+Hacksaw+Ridge+is+based+on+the+true+story+of+World+War+II+Army+Medic+Desmond+T.+Doss%2C+shown+here+receiving+the+Medal+of+Honor+from+President+Harry+Truman+
The film Hacksaw Ridge is based on the true story of World War II Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, shown here receiving the Medal of Honor from President Harry Truman

Courtesy of Google

Courtesy of Google

Hacksaw Ridge is based on the incredible true story of Army Medic Desmond T. Doss who saved 75 men without a weapon during the battle of Okinawa, during World War II. He became the first conscientious objector in American history to be awarded the Medal of Honor.

It’s been awhile since director Mel Gibson has worked on a film. His last two movies were The Passion of Christ in 2014 and Apocalypto in 2006. At the sixth annual Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards, Hacksaw Ridge won Best Film and Gibson won Best Direction.

The film begins with Doss, played by Andrew Garfield, being injured on the battlefield. Then the movie flashes back to him as a young boy fighting with his brother
in the hills of rural Virginia. An incident between Doss and his brother changes the way Doss views life.

His father, Tom Doss (Hugo Weaving), an alcoholic and a former soldier who served in WWI, says his son is too weak to survive a war.

When Doss leaves for Army training camp, his girlfriend, Dorothy Schutte (Teresa Palmer), a nurse at the local Lynchburg Hospital, hands him a Bible, which is the only thing that keeps him going. He always carries the book around along with a picture of Dorothy.

During Doss’s Army training he is severely harassed and abused by the officers and other soldiers, because he refuses to use a weapon and he won’t quit.

“I don’t know how I’m going to live with myself if I don’t stay true to what I believe,” says Doss when he tries to explain to Dorothy about his strict ethic of never touching a gun.

Tom persuades the military to allow conscientious objectors to serve the war effort in “noncombatant” positions. The scene when Doss’s reaches Hacksaw Ridge is a bloody and brutal battle, where bodies parts are flying in the air, grenades exploding, and soldiers catching fire.

Doss makes a courageous decision to go back to the battlefield and help his wounded comrades. For him this was a test about faith in his religion.

• Hacksaw Ridge

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

• Hacksaw Ridge

National News

Should parents snoop?

• Hacksaw Ridge

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

• Hacksaw Ridge

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

• Hacksaw Ridge

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

• Hacksaw Ridge

National News

Marijuana hurts teen brains

• Hacksaw Ridge

National News

Overcoming Shyness

• Hacksaw Ridge

National News

Teens and money

• Hacksaw Ridge

Campus News

Jack Carter: An Amazing Athlete

• featured-athlete

Coach Richard Thompson

The student news site of South Mountain High School
Hacksaw Ridge