The student news site of South Mountain High School

Southwinds

Filed under Jag Life, Movies

Ouija: Origin Of Evil

A mysterious spirit inhabits a girl in Ouija: Origin of Evil, a film that could use a few more scary moments.

Courtesy Google Images

Ouija: Origin Of Evil is a horror movie that was directed by Mike Flanagan who is most known for horror movies Oculus in 2013 and Hush in 2016.

The movie is set in Los Angeles, California in 1967. A widow named Alice Zander, played by Elizabeth Reaser, works inside her home as a psychic who talks to other people’s deceased loved ones. Alice and her daughters Paulina “Lina” Zander (Annalise Basso) and Doris Zander (Lulu Wilson) stage the meetings, but they don’t do it for money. They do it so people can move on.

One day while using the Ouija board, Alice asks a couple of questions, but what she didn’t know was that she’d contacted an uninvited spirit that then possesses her daughter. Alice puts the board away without saying goodbye, breaking one of the three rules, which are on the back of the Ouija board: never play alone, never play in a graveyard, and always say goodbye.

The movie at the beginning is boring. The film finally starts setting up when Doris becomes possessed by the spirit while her mom tests the Ouija board out, but it isn’t very spooky, just plain weird. I thought the scene was strange, because it was random, and the way the spirits were talking through Doris and not through the Ouija board was confusing.

The acting was great, because all the characters played some type of role where they were being affected emotionally. For example, the scene when Doris startedtalking about what it feels like to be strangled to death. It gave me the chills. She sounded like she was was an actual murdering psychopath. Reaser did a fantastic job as the mom. Also, when the evil spirit inside Doris also tried to take over her other daughter Lina, she screamed at the spirit to take her instead, which was moving.

Basso did a fantastic job as the older sister, Lina, who was worried and scared about how her sister was changing. When she talked to Father Tom Hogan (Henry Thomas) she sounded extremely worried for Doris’s health.

Thomas, who played a widowed priest, did a convincing job. When he goes to the Zander home to see what is really wrong, he plays with the Ouija board with Doris to test her. And when they talk to his supposed dead wife, he actually seems surprised and relieved, even though he was just acting, because he knew the spirit he was talk- ing to was actually someone else.

Michael Weaver, who played the spirit of Roger Zander, Alice’s deceased husband, didn’t have any lines, but he played a major role in trying to help his daughters stop the evil spirits.

Overall, the movie wasn’t really exciting, though there were a couple of chilling scenes. But I felt there should’ve been more. I think the best thing about this movie was the acting, which I really enjoyed.

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

Sports

South’s football team 4-0

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

National News

Fake News

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

National News

You can beat test anxiety

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

National News

Online dating: more are jumping in

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

Campus News

Jaguar mural loss sparks sadness on campus

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

Campus News

Ninety-one donors step up for STUGO Blood Drive

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

National News

What Makes a Terrorist?

• Ouija: Origin Of Evil

Sports

According to the AIA step is not sport

Ouija: Origin Of Evil