The student news site of South Mountain High School

Southwinds

Online dating: more are jumping in

Many just won't admit it

Ethan Jacobs, a culture writer for Complex Life, an online news site, said, “Although our generation has managed to incorporate the Internet into virtually every aspect of our lives, for some laughable reason, we still hold onto the antiquated ideal that love should blossom “naturally”.

Google images

Google images

The first thing that comes to mind when you think of online dating may be desperate. Some people believe starting a relationship online is for losers who lack social skills. A cloudy stigma hangs over the idea of online dating, but the truth is people are now doing it more than ever before.

Starting a relationship through a match-making site is not something new. In 1966, an article in Look magazine talked about Operation Match, which was a computerized dating system developed by two Harvard undergraduates, Jeff Tarr and Vaughn Morril. The service brought in 8,000 applications. Within nine months, the online dating site attracted 90,000 people and earned a little over a quarter of a million dollars.

Teens under the age of 18 are not eligible for online dating, but social media sites like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Kik introduce them to people online they may nd interesting.

According to The Pew Research Center, 57% of teens have begun friendships in a digital space. But 76% say they’ve only dated people they’ve met via of ine methods. Also, 18-to 24-year-olds who use online dating roughly tripled from 10% in 2013 to 27% in 2016.

A South Mountain High School junior, who does not want her name used in this article, believes online dating

can help people easily nd someone they’re compatible with.

“I think people resort to online dating because it’s easy,” she said. “You get to choose who you want to have a future with. I think it’s so much easier.”

So, why are so many people embarrassed to admit that they started their relationship online?

Ethan Jacobs, a culture writer for Complex Life, an online news site, said, “Although our generation has managed to incorporate the Internet into virtually every aspect of our lives, for some laughable reason, we still hold onto the antiquated ideal that love should blossom “naturally.”

Though successful relationships may result from dating online, some people won’t even reveal to their family members how they met their partner. In 2015, The Debrief, a lifestyle blog, had an anonymous writer tell her story about how she began her relationship with her boyfriend online, and for two years she lied to her friends and family about how they met.

“My boyfriend and I are excellent liars,” she said. “The key to success is tenacity. And if anyone tries to call you out – deny, deny, deny.”

For some people online dating is a guilty pleasure that should be kept secret. Others feel that dating online is admitting failure. Opinions vary on the subject, but if someone is interested in seeking a relationship online they should go about it safely. It would be best to invite your online friend to join you and a group of your friends, rather than meeting them alone. Continue to go out in groups until you feel comfortable with the person. Also, tell a close friend or family member when and where you will be going out with your new friend.

In the end, the decision to meet people online is up to you. Just remember to be safe.

• Online dating: more are jumping in

National News

How do you prepare for a disaster?

• Online dating: more are jumping in

Campus News

Be A Leader helps students pay for college

• Online dating: more are jumping in

Campus News

Taking credits outside of the district? Make sure to follow the proper process

• Online dating: more are jumping in

Campus News

Blood Drive comes to South

• Online dating: more are jumping in

Jag Life

Freshmen and sophomores learn how to protect themselves during Mock Crash event

• Online dating: more are jumping in

Campus News

Mock crash shows South students dangers of driving drunk

• Online dating: more are jumping in

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

• Online dating: more are jumping in

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

• Online dating: more are jumping in

National News

Fake News

• Online dating: more are jumping in

National News

You can beat test anxiety

Online dating: more are jumping in