The student news site of South Mountain High School

Southwinds

You can beat test anxiety

To reduce test anxiety you should approach the exam with confidence, be prepared, choose a comfortable location for taking the test, allow yourself plenty of time, strive for a relaxed state of concentration, get exercise and a good night's sleep, and don't go to the exam with an empty stomach.

Photo Courtesy Google Images

Do you ever check the time constantly during a test? Get easily frustrated? Or lose sleep the night before an exam? These are some examples of test anxiety. Many students deal with a little nervousness while testing, but having anxiety can affect your exam performance.

“Test anxiety is a feeling of worry, concern, anxious- ness, prior to taking any type of test,” said Matt Lersch, South Mountain High School’s Assistant Principal of Instruction. “It just has to do with your thinking prior to the test and if you’re the type of person to get really nervous.”

According to the Student Academic Services website, test anxiety has many causes, the most common of which is lack of preparation. For example, a student who doesn’t go to class regularly, doesn’t complete assign- ments, and isn’t prepared.

Signs of test anxiety can be a negative attitude, a loss of appetite, or you blank out during a test.

“It can look anything from . . . people getting dizzy, nau- seated, sweaty palms, maybe dry mouth,” said Lersch.

Freshman Jose Eduardo Ramos Valdez has concerns about not making it through high school and gets ner- vous while testing.

“I look at other people to see if they’re struggling, be- cause I know I’m not the only one,” said Valdez. “I get nervous, scared, and I don’t want to fail.”

Lersch recommends anxious test takers should study multiple days prior to the test and a good night’s sleep.

“Test anxiety is real,” said Lersch. “Think about your impact on test anxiety, so you can start decreasing your anxiety for tests. If you just (study) the night before or (in) the morning, you might get more severe test anxi- ety, because you haven’t given your brain more time to process the information.”

According to Study Guides and Strategies website, to reduce your test anxiety you should approach the exam with con dence, be prepared, choose a comfortable location for taking the test, allow yourself plenty of time, strive for a relaxed state of concentration, get exercise and a good night’s sleep, and don’t go to the exam with an empty stomach.

• You can beat test anxiety

Sports

South’s football team 4-0

• You can beat test anxiety

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

• You can beat test anxiety

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

• You can beat test anxiety

National News

Fake News

• You can beat test anxiety

National News

Online dating: more are jumping in

• You can beat test anxiety

Campus News

Jaguar mural loss sparks sadness on campus

• You can beat test anxiety

Campus News

Ninety-one donors step up for STUGO Blood Drive

• You can beat test anxiety

National News

What Makes a Terrorist?

• You can beat test anxiety

Sports

According to the AIA step is not sport

• You can beat test anxiety

Jag Life

Former Jag News students snag four Rocky Mountain Emmys

You can beat test anxiety