Southwinds

Marijuana hurts teen brains

You may want to think twice about smoking that joint

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marijuana hurts teen brains

Research by the National Institute On Drug Abuse suggests that the effects on memory, learning, and intelligence can be long term and even permanent in people who begin using regularly as teens.

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

Teens fail to realize that pot can permanently damage your brain.

According to Drugabuse.gov, memory impairment from marijuana use occurs because THC alters how the hippocampus, a brain area responsible for memory formation, processes information. Research by the National Institute On Drug Abuse suggests that the effects on memory, learning, and intelligence can be long term and even permanent in people who begin using regularly as teens.

Michelle Deleon, a junior at South Mountain High School, said, “Smoking weed makes me forget things very easily sometimes. I will … not really focus. I worry that it will affect my body and my health.”

According to the Federal Drug Administration, marijuana’s effects on attention and memory make it difficult to learn something new or do complex tasks that require focus and concentration. Marijuana affects timing, movement, and coordination, which can harm athletic performance.

Carmen Lappen, the nurse at South Mountain High School, said, “smoking pot causes memory and learning (problems), distorted perception … problems with sound, time, vision, and touch, motor skills, and high heart rate and dry mouth.”

Teens should remember that pot is not a harmless drug and can change your future in many ways.

“When you start smoking pot, you pay a very high price,” Lappen said. “Many times pot is not the plant that people think. It can be laced with other harmful ingredients. Is very addictive. It is illegal. It is not worth you’re future.”

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

Campus News

South Mountain High School boasts new nursing program

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

Campus News

!CAUTION! Construction Zone Ahead

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

Campus News

South Mountain teacher awarded the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Dazed and Blazed Concert: A day I’ll never forget

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Should parents snoop?

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

• Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Overcoming Shyness

The student news site of South Mountain High School
Marijuana hurts teen brains