Southwinds

Filed under National News

Body Issues

Only five percent of woman naturally possess the body type often portrayed as perfect in the media.

Ninety-one percent of woman are unhappy with their bodies, according to the U.S Department of Health and Human Services. Many compare themselves to the beautiful models in the media world, which can lead to bulimia, anorexia, obsessive work outs and even plastic surgery.

Vincent Arollo, a Health Aid at South Mountain High School said, “Society is the problem. It begins with all the toys, magazines, and models looking a specific way. We’re just chasing the perfect illusion.”

Five percent of woman naturally possess the body type often portrayed in the media. Not just ordinary people, but also celebrities. Singer Lady Gaga admits she once suffered from body issues. After performing at the 2017 Super Bowl, she received many body shaming comments and this was her response.

“I heard my body is a topic of conversation, so I wanted to say, I’m proud of my body and you should be proud of yours too. No matter who you are or what you do. I could give you a million reasons why you don’t need to cater to anyone or anything to succeed. Be you, and relentlessly you. That’s the stuff of champions.”

Gaga still encourages her fans with body-loving music. One of her hits, “Born This Way”, supports loving yourself. “There’s nothing wrong with loving who you are,” the lyrics say. “‘So hold your head up, girl … Don’t hide yourself in regret, just love yourself and you’re set I’m on the track. Baby I was born this way.”

And body issues don’t just affect women. Fabian Maldonado, a sophomore at South Mountain High School, said, “I am very aware what I look like. I don’t like it! I am overweight for my age and struggle with self-consciousness.”

Michelle Hicks, a teacher who specializes in health at South Mountain High School, has some suggestions for people with negative body issues.

“People (who) have negative thoughts about their bodies can go to group therapy, counseling, treatment centers. Also hang around positive people … and (journal) positive thoughts.”

• Body Issues

Sports

Playing a sport in college is like having a job

• Body Issues

National News

Why is Fortnite Battle Royale so popular?

• Body Issues

Sports

Should we pay college athletes?

• Body Issues

Sports

Fewer young athletes are playing football

• Body Issues

Campus News

South Mountain High School boasts new nursing program

• Body Issues

Campus News

!CAUTION! Construction Zone Ahead

• Body Issues

Campus News

South Mountain teacher awarded the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence

• Body Issues

National News

Dazed and Blazed Concert: A day I’ll never forget

• Body Issues

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

• Body Issues

National News

Should parents snoop?

The student news site of South Mountain High School
Body Issues