Southwinds

Filed under National News, Sports

Girls in sports

The numbers keep growing

South Mountain High School's girls varsity soccer players are part of a growing number of female athletes. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, in 1971-72 girls participation in sports was about 294,000. In 2016-17 the total participation was almost 3,400,000.

Before Title IX in the 1970’s, most sports were only played by only men. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, female participation in sports has increased for the 28th consecutive year, setting the all time high of about 3,400,000 as of 2017.

Sports are important to women because they help them both academically and physically.

Jennifer White, the varsity girls soccer coach at South Mountain High School, said, “Sports give females the opportunity to feel and be strong. It also gives women a sense of power they may not find anywhere else.”

Gary Shindler, the head coach for the girls soccer team at Fountain Hills High School, said, “Sports allow girls to become equal to boys. For many years, girls were not allowed to play sports until Title IX. This allows them to understand the same attributes a boy has such as discipline, community building, comradery, all of which make stronger, better citizens. We know for a fact that when they play sports, they are more likely to go to college.”

According to the Women’s Sports Foundation, females who participate in sports are more likely to attend and complete college than those who did not participate in sports.

“Sports have a positive influence concerning academics in a variety of ways,” said White. “Athletes are disciplined and therefore more prone to be disciplined when it comes to being responsible concerning school work. Athletes have to maintain their grades in order to play their sport which makes it quite literally a direct reason that they maintain their grades.”

Women who are physically active, according to the Women’s Sports Foundation, are less likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease.

“Sports are super important because they keep you out of trouble and busy throughout the day,” South sophomore Gabriela Soto said. “(The) majority of students go home, eat, and play video games, not realizing that that is not healthy. Stay active!”

“As captain in my sport, I’m being taught to be a leader without even noticing,” said South senior soccer player Gabriela Valenzuela. “I take charge on the field and take charge of my grades in the classroom. Being a student-athlete helps me grow mentally.” 

• Girls in sports

National News

Should parents snoop?

• Girls in sports

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

• Girls in sports

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

• Girls in sports

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

• Girls in sports

National News

Marijuana hurts teen brains

• Girls in sports

National News

Overcoming Shyness

• Girls in sports

National News

Teens and money

• Girls in sports

Campus News

Jack Carter: An Amazing Athlete

• featured-athlete

Coach Richard Thompson

• Girls in sports

featured-athlete

60 years later

The student news site of South Mountain High School
Girls in sports