Southwinds

Dazed and Blazed Concert: A day I’ll never forget

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

On August 30, the Dazed and Blazed tour in Phoenix, Arizona hosted performances by, among others, Wiz Khalifa, Rae Sremmurd, and Lil Skies for nearly five hours. All of the artists performances were exciting and full of energy especially Sremmurd and Skies.

The Dazed and Blazed tour was the first concert I ever attended and it exceeded my expectations. I was expecting to have to stand the entire time and be bumped in the middle of a huge rowdy crowd. When I first walked through the gates at the AK-Chin Pavilion, I was greeted by security and guest services. The security check line was surprisingly fast. There were mist machines to help fight the heat, and you instantly heard the speakers booming with music.

The first performance was by O.T. Genasis, known for his hit songs “CoCo” and “Cut It”.  Genasis’ performance was a great opening for the event, because he set a good tone for the rest of the night with a lot of involvement from the crowd and playing high energy songs to get everyone “turnt”.  Genasis played all of his major hits. I hadn’t heard a lot of his music previously, still, I enjoyed his performance.

Then, it was Lil Skies turn. Skies has had a surge in popularity this year. He is famous for his hip hop songs “Nowadays”, “Red Roses”,  and “Lust”. When Skies came out the crowd went crazy. During his performance he paid to tribute to hip hop artist XXXTentacion who recently passed away. It was nice of Skies to play X’s songs “ Look At Me” and “Sad”. The crowd really loved the tribute. Skies appearance at the Dazed and Blaze tour was his second time ever performing in Arizona. I am a fan of Skies’ music so I was able to sing along with the lyrics. During Skies performance the sun began to go down, so the effects team started to use the lights which helped the crowd see his act clearly.

The third performance was by Rae Sremmurd, a hip hop duo formed by two brothers Slim Jxmmi and Swae Lee. When Rae Sremmurd began to perform everyone rushed to their seats to watch them. The stage was a tropical setting with palm trees and beach chairs and in the back was an armored truck. I was excited to see Rae Sremmurd because I have been a big fan since they first started making music in 2014. They played some of their old songs like “No Type” and “ No Flex Zone”, as well as some new music. The crowd seemed to like both his old songs and newer ones. In my opinion Rae Sremmurd’s performance was the best because they had the most energy and the songs they chose to play were really good.

The final performance was from Wiz Khalifa. It took some time for the concert crew to set up the stage for Khalifa. They put up a huge gate with his initials, W and K, for him to make his entrance.  His performance started at about 9:45 P.M. and AK-Chin Pavilion came to life. During his performance he threw huge balloons into the crowd. There was one that was at least 15-feet long and the crowd bounced it around while moving to the music. My favorite songs that he played were “King” and “Goin Hard”. The crowd went wild when he played his old songs “Black and Yellow” and “We Dem Boyz”. At the end of his performance, Khalifa paused and the whole crowd cheered for him. It was crazy to see how much support his fans showed after all this time, since his first hits were released in 2007.

For my first concert ever it was super fun. I enjoyed seeing some of my favorite artists in person. The effects that were used and the speakers changed music for me. I never heard music like I did during the Dazed and Blazed concert. It was so loud and clear, The lyrics were all around you and the crowd was singing along with them. I doubt I will ever forget August 30, 2018: my first concert ever.

• Dazed and Blazed Concert: A day I’ll never forget

Campus News

South Mountain High School boasts new nursing program

Campus News

!CAUTION! Construction Zone Ahead

Campus News

South Mountain teacher awarded the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

National News

Should parents snoop?

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

National News

Marijuana hurts teen brains

National News

Overcoming Shyness

The student news site of South Mountain High School