Southwinds

Why is Fortnite Battle Royale so popular?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fortnite crossed the 200-million-player mark, with the publisher raking in more than one billion dollars in revenue in the first half of 2018.

Photo Courtesy Google

Photo Courtesy Google

Photo Courtesy Google

Many people in the video game industry are familiar with the cartoony open world phenomenon Fortnite which has become wildly successful.

According to Eli Blumenthal, a tech writer for USA TODAY, “Fortnite was the top free IPhone downloadable app in 2018. The game recently crossed the 200-million player mark, with the publisher raking in more than $1 billion in revenue in just the first half of the year.”

The first main mode is known as Save the World. This is the mode that started Fortnite. It debuted on July 25, 2017 and is currently not free to play. In Save the World players must fight evil monsters and work with up to four other players to build forts, defend and protect machines and people (Artificial Intelligence) and progress into deeper levels of the game. 

Battle Royale was added because Epic Games wanted to add a player-vs.-player option, which means they wanted players to go against each other in the game. It is a free-to-play survival mode, in which players collect resources, build forts, find weapons and avoid the harmful storm with 100 players that you must kill or avoid. 

“It’s basically 100 players drop into an island and everybody is fighting for survival, last person alive wins,” said Eric Williamson, a lead designer at Epic Games, in a YouTube Save the World update. “We’re really excited about some of the other Battle Royale modes out there and we thought that we can really bring our own flavor to it. And so it’s really exciting to marry those two concepts.” 

“The reason why it’s popular is because of the exciting updates. It’s such a competitive game,” Anthony Aceves, a sophomore at South Mountain High School, said.  

“It’s wide spread and you can play with or against other players on other platforms, such as console platforms and computer users,” sophomore Ariana Alvirez said. “It’s a fun game when it comes to building little forts and killing others. We can customize our character. We can buy outfits with in game money: V-Bucks.”                                                                                                                                                                           

“The game is popular because it’s a free, unlike PUBG (Player Unknown Battle Grounds) and it’s fun. I would play it for about two hours a day and I think it’ll be a long lasting popular game,” sophomore Kevin Torres said.                                                                                                

“Everyone plays differently and it can teach you how to adapt to different play styles. I like to play the game every once in awhile, and it can get a bit frustrating when playing, but in a fun way,” sophomore Jose Ramirez said. “It’s pretty competitive and it gives a little burst of adrenaline.”

Fortnite is available on Apple, Android, MAC devices, Microsoft, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.

• Why is Fortnite Battle Royale so popular?

Sports

Should we pay college athletes?

Sports

Fewer young athletes are playing football

Campus News

South Mountain High School boasts new nursing program

Campus News

!CAUTION! Construction Zone Ahead

Campus News

South Mountain teacher awarded the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence

National News

Dazed and Blazed Concert: A day I’ll never forget

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

National News

Should parents snoop?

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

The student news site of South Mountain High School