The student news site of South Mountain High School

Southwinds

Filed under Sports

Football Babies

Jaguars+football+coach+Mark+Carter+brings+baby+Achilles+to+practice+and+allows+his+players+to+bring+their+siblings+along%2C+as+well.+
Jaguars football coach Mark Carter brings baby Achilles to practice and allows his players to bring their siblings along, as well.

Photo Courtesy Mark Carter

Photo Courtesy Mark Carter

It’s not every day you see a high school football coach on the field with a baby strapped to his chest. It’s also not a common sight to see a section of little kids playing around or doing homework, while players are practicing nearby. But South Mountain’s Head football coach Mark Carter not only allows players to bring their younger siblings to practice whenever they have to babysit, he also brings his own baby to work.

“We stress to our players that (there are) zero excuses for missing practice,” he said. “The typical excuse is that players have to babysit. So, we said bring them to practice with you and we will have them taken care of.”

Carter said that having siblings at practice has many advantages.

“The biggest benefit (is) that players are not missing practice as much,” he said.

Carter wants his students to make an impact on the field, but he also wants them to feel like the team is a family.

“The sad but true reality is that some of our players come from single parent homes,” he said. “Some think of it as normal when it’s not. So they get to see that you can do what you love and include your family.”

Although Carter wants the Jaguars to be successful on the field, he also wants to make sure his players know that winning isn’t all about the championships. It’s about the type of men they are once they walk off the field.

“We want to build successful young men on the field and most importantly off the field,” he said.

• Football Babies

National News

How do you prepare for a disaster?

• Football Babies

Campus News

Be A Leader helps students pay for college

• Football Babies

Campus News

Taking credits outside of the district? Make sure to follow the proper process

• Football Babies

Campus News

Blood Drive comes to South

• Football Babies

Jag Life

Freshmen and sophomores learn how to protect themselves during Mock Crash event

• Football Babies

Campus News

Mock crash shows South students dangers of driving drunk

• Football Babies

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

• Football Babies

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

• Football Babies

National News

Fake News

• Football Babies

National News

You can beat test anxiety

Football Babies