The student news site of South Mountain High School

Southwinds

Filed under Sports

Baseball Brothers

"Their good ball players and they know the game."

Vincent Flores (left) and his brother Zachary participating  in the D-Backs Chase Your Dreams Baseball Tournament.

Vincent Flores (left) and his brother Zachary participating in the D-Backs Chase Your Dreams Baseball Tournament.

Courtesy Vincent Flores

Courtesy Vincent Flores

64

1

Two players on South Mountains Varsity Baseball team have more in common then just playing baseball, they’re brothers. Zachary and Vincent Flores have played baseball together since they were little and they have dedicated themselves to the game ever since then.

Senior outfielder Vincent Flores has always had a huge passion for baseball and, as he grew older, his love for the game grew. Now he gets to share his love for baseball with his younger brother.

“He’s my best friend and having my younger brother play alongside me since we were little has made me love the game so much more,” said Vincent.

Sophomore infielder Zachary Flores has been playing baseball ever since was eight years old. He plays the sport with such passion that once one season would end, he would join another team so he could continue to play.

“Playing baseball alongside my brother is the best, because he’s the closest person to me, so it’s like something you love to do with your closest friend,” said Zach. “There’s not the same vibe when he doesn’t go to practices or games so playing with him is important to me.”

“They’re good kids and they support each other so there’s no sibling rivalry,” said  Jaguars varsity baseball coach Chris Whittaker. “Their good ball players and they know the game.”

Vincent, who will soon be graduating, would like to leave a few words for his brother, as this is his last year playing alongside him.

“What I would like to leave for my brother is to always play with a passion and play like it’s the last game you’re ever going to play,” he said. “He brings energy to the team, so I would tell him not to change a thing.”

• Baseball Brothers

National News

How do you prepare for a disaster?

• Baseball Brothers

Campus News

Be A Leader helps students pay for college

• Baseball Brothers

Campus News

Taking credits outside of the district? Make sure to follow the proper process

• Baseball Brothers

Campus News

Blood Drive comes to South

• Baseball Brothers

Jag Life

Freshmen and sophomores learn how to protect themselves during Mock Crash event

• Baseball Brothers

Campus News

Mock crash shows South students dangers of driving drunk

• Baseball Brothers

Campus News

Two lunches shorten lines, but some students are not happy with the change

• Baseball Brothers

Campus News

New South staff bring fresh perspectives to campus

• Baseball Brothers

National News

Fake News

• Baseball Brothers

National News

You can beat test anxiety

Baseball Brothers