Southwinds

Filed under Sports

South’s football team 4-0

After+winning+four+games+in+a+row%2C+South+Mountain+High+School%27s+football+players+work+hard+at+practice+to+keep+their+winning+streak+alive.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

South’s football team 4-0

After winning four games in a row, South Mountain High School's football players work hard at practice to keep their winning streak alive.

Photo by Makayla Lambert

Photo by Makayla Lambert

Photo by Makayla Lambert

South Mountain High School’s football team has started off the school year with a bang. For the first time in over two decades the team is 4-0.

According to Mark Carter, South’s varsity football coach, last year only 60 players were in the Jag football program, but now there are 109.

“I think that everyone wants to play for a winner,” he said. “So, now that we’re kinda on the up slope … people are starting to believe and have more faith in what we’re doing.”

“They see change,”  junior middle linebacker Cesar Caperon said.

Marcus Carter, Mark Carter’s twin brother, is South’s offensive line coach and defensive coordinator. He explained how the team’s attitude has changed.

“The team has gotten older and [has more] experience and now I feel like they are starting to care more,” he said. “So, once you start to care about something, you start to put more into it.”

Junior wide receiver Martin Cotton hopes to continue the winning streak. He said being in football has taught him leadership skills.

“When you make a bad play, it teaches you to be responsible [about] what you did,” Cotton said.

It’s understandable, that when a team starts winning games people start buying in. Mark Carter is waiting for the first loss of the year to see if people will still come and cheer them on.

“I’m definitely interested in seeing if or when we have our first defeat … the reaction of this community,” he said. “And to see if they’ll still come and support.”

In the meantime, the Carter brothers want to thank the community.

“I … want to thank administration and all the teachers for being onboard and having … great attitudes towards the players,” Marcus said. “Our mantra is change the culture, and I can definitely see change, from administration, all the way down to the players. It’s just very appreciated and it’s making the players play harder.”

“We just want to thank everybody,” Mark said. “This ride is not over. It’s going and we want it to keep going as long as possible.”

• South’s football team 4-0

Jag Life

Sonic The Hedgehog movie crisis

• South’s football team 4-0

Jag Life

Working for the first time

• South’s football team 4-0

Jag Life

Why are horror films so successful?

• South’s football team 4-0

Jag Life

Coming Out

• South’s football team 4-0

Sports

Baseball is not as popular as it once was

• South’s football team 4-0

Sports

Playing a sport in college is like having a job

• South’s football team 4-0

National News

Why is Fortnite Battle Royale so popular?

• South’s football team 4-0

Sports

Should we pay college athletes?

• South’s football team 4-0

Sports

Fewer young athletes are playing football

• South’s football team 4-0

Campus News

South Mountain High School boasts new nursing program

The student news site of South Mountain High School
South’s football team 4-0