Southwinds

Filed under Sports

South’s football team 4-0

After+winning+four+games+in+a+row%2C+South+Mountain+High+School%27s+football+players+work+hard+at+practice+to+keep+their+winning+streak+alive.+
After winning four games in a row, South Mountain High School's football players work hard at practice to keep their winning streak alive.

Photo by Makayla Lambert

Photo by Makayla Lambert

South Mountain High School’s football team has started off the school year with a bang. For the first time in over two decades the team is 4-0.

According to Mark Carter, South’s varsity football coach, last year only 60 players were in the Jag football program, but now there are 109.

“I think that everyone wants to play for a winner,” he said. “So, now that we’re kinda on the up slope … people are starting to believe and have more faith in what we’re doing.”

“They see change,”  junior middle linebacker Cesar Caperon said.

Marcus Carter, Mark Carter’s twin brother, is South’s offensive line coach and defensive coordinator. He explained how the team’s attitude has changed.

“The team has gotten older and [has more] experience and now I feel like they are starting to care more,” he said. “So, once you start to care about something, you start to put more into it.”

Junior wide receiver Martin Cotton hopes to continue the winning streak. He said being in football has taught him leadership skills.

“When you make a bad play, it teaches you to be responsible [about] what you did,” Cotton said.

It’s understandable, that when a team starts winning games people start buying in. Mark Carter is waiting for the first loss of the year to see if people will still come and cheer them on.

“I’m definitely interested in seeing if or when we have our first defeat … the reaction of this community,” he said. “And to see if they’ll still come and support.”

In the meantime, the Carter brothers want to thank the community.

“I … want to thank administration and all the teachers for being onboard and having … great attitudes towards the players,” Marcus said. “Our mantra is change the culture, and I can definitely see change, from administration, all the way down to the players. It’s just very appreciated and it’s making the players play harder.”

“We just want to thank everybody,” Mark said. “This ride is not over. It’s going and we want it to keep going as long as possible.”

• South’s football team 4-0

National News

Should parents snoop?

• South’s football team 4-0

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

• South’s football team 4-0

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

• South’s football team 4-0

Sports

South Mountain High School students interview the Phoenix Suns

• South’s football team 4-0

National News

Marijuana hurts teen brains

• South’s football team 4-0

National News

Overcoming Shyness

• South’s football team 4-0

National News

Teens and money

• South’s football team 4-0

Campus News

Jack Carter: An Amazing Athlete

• featured-athlete

Coach Richard Thompson

• South’s football team 4-0

featured-athlete

60 years later

The student news site of South Mountain High School
South’s football team 4-0