Southwinds

Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Fewer young athletes are playing football

Could that change the game as we know it?

Back to Article
Back to Article

If the decline in youth football players continues, there might not be high school football in the future.

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

Courtesy Google Images

Fewer young athletes are participating in tackle football. This may become a big issue in the future.

An NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll said,“Forty-eight percent of Americans say they would encourage children who were interested in football to play a different sport due to the risk of concussions.”

According to the Concussion Legacy Foundation, repetitive hits in general can cause chronic traumatic encephalopathy, not just concussions. CTE is a brain condition associated with repeated blows to the head and is also associated with the development of dementia. And that may bring fear to the parents who allow their children to play tackle football.

Former NFL players Nic Buoniconti, Harry Carson, and Phil Villapiano, and Boston University researchers have all called for an end to tackle football for children 13 and under.

Wiley Online Library, a group that publishes online scientific, technical, medical, and scholarly publications, said kids who played football before 12 years old experienced behavioral and emotional issues on average 13 years earlier than kids who played football after 12.

Travis Gammage Jr., a varsity wide-out for the South Mountain Jaguars, thinks fewer young athletes playing tackle football will eventually be problematic.

“It will effect high school football because you won’t have a lot of experienced players,” Gammage said.

If children aren’t playing football at the youth level, they would have to learn and acquire new skills when entering high school. And that may be too late.

“I think it overall will take a player a longer period of time to develop and shine,” Gammage said. “Which will lead to less skilled players.”

Marcus Cater, South Mountain High School’s co-varsity football coach, believes the sport goes beyond what happens on the field.

“I think it’s a little sad. Football is more than just X’s and O’s,” Carter said. “We build a lot of life skills while teaching the game of football. What are kids going to do on Friday nights? The lack of school activities will allow people to get in trouble or become more mischievous.”

Ultimately, it’s up to the parents to decide if their child will play football or not.

• Fewer young athletes are playing football

National News

Why is Fortnite Battle Royale so popular?

Sports

Should we pay college athletes?

Campus News

South Mountain High School boasts new nursing program

Campus News

!CAUTION! Construction Zone Ahead

Campus News

South Mountain teacher awarded the John J. Ross Memorial Award for excellence

National News

Dazed and Blazed Concert: A day I’ll never forget

National News

Why do we have a feminine hygiene product tax?

National News

Should parents snoop?

National News

Teens suffering from domestic violence can get help

Campus News

Red Light Rebellion invites South Mountain students to put an end to “modern day slavery”

The student news site of South Mountain High School